Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Chaplain Painting Update

I've been working hard to finish this month's painting project for my local GW.  The models need to be in the store by 12/22 since the shop will be closed on Christmas and the two days preceding it.  However, I'm leaving the state for four days say I'm in a little bit more of a time crunch. 

I've been painting diligently to get this bad boy churned out.  I must say, I am impressed with how it's turning out.  It just needs a few more highlights and some weathering then it will be done.  I should be able to knock that out tonight without a problem.  Then I can start working on some of my own models.  I've been neglecting my Tactical Marines.

As far as some of the challenges I found in painting this model, white is a fickle color to deal with and black is hard to give depth.  I was really worried that my painting style and technique wouldn't do a White Scar bike justice, but looking at the near finished product, it looks great and I am very impressed.  It kept that gritty comic book feel to it and looks like it were ripped out of some Frank Miller graphic novel.

The black armor on the Chaplain was definitely a challenge.  Black is one of the hardest colors to paint in my opinion.  It needs to have layers of shading without looking to dark or too light.  This is a skill and color I need to work at, especially since I play an army where a third of the units have black armor.  Through a lot of inking and highlighting, I was able to get decent looking black armor, though it definitely has room for improvement.

Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment